Posting Date: Jan 6, 2024
Location: Cypress Hills Provincial Park, AB
Company: Government of Alberta
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
Alberta Forestry and Parks - We support Albertans in being proud stewards of air, land, water and biodiversity by leading the work required for the desired environmental outcomes and sustainable development of natural resources.
For more information about the Ministry of Forestry and Parks, please visit our website at: https://www.alberta.ca/forestry-and-parks
Provincial Parks are essential to the quality of life that Albertans enjoy. They conserve our natural landscapes and wildlife habitat and offer a broad range of nature-based outdoor recreational opportunities. Alberta’s parks inspire people to discover, value, protect and enjoy the natural world and the benefits it provides for current and future generations.
For more information on Park locations visit: https://albertaparks.ca/.
Job Title: Visitor Experience Team Lead
Job Requisition ID: 50825
Ministry: Forestry and Parks
Location: Cypress Hills Provincial Park
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: January 22, 2024Classification: Program Services 4 (024PSA)
Salary: $2,881.03 - $3,776.62 bi-weekly ($71,967 to $94,068 / year)
The Visitor Experience Team Lead (VETL), reporting to the Area Manager, plays a vital role in planning, implementing and evaluating Visitor Services and Engagement activities within Cypress District. Responsibilities span camping and retail, interpretation and education, information services, exhibits, marketing, community/partner relations and outreach activities.
Key aspects of the role include oversight of business operations at Hidden Valley Ski Resort and leadership regarding program planning, strategic initiatives and operational delivery for Visitor Services and Visitor Engagement programs.
Hidden Valley Ski Resort Operations:
• Provide leadership for ski hill business operations, ensuring efficiency in rentals, ski school and the café
• Direct risk management to uphold visitor safety in collaboration with other operational streams
• Collaborate with teams to align business operations with resort goals, fostering teamwork and excellence
Program Planning - Strategic, Operational, Capital:
• Contribute to strategic, operational and capital planning for the Area while representing Visitor Services and Visitor Engagement programs
• Develop program directions, goals, objectives and performance targets aligned with provincial policies and standards
• Participate in committees to foster provincial collaboration and assist with long-term and medium-term strategic planning
Visitor Engagement Program Operational Delivery and Evaluation:
• Manage all aspects of Visitor Engagement planning, delivery and evaluation within Cypress Hills Provincial Park
• Develop interpretive and outreach programs year-round while ensuring inclusivity
• Lead the interpretive and information sign program, formal educational programming and community-building activities
Visitor Services Program Operational Delivery and Evaluation:
• Manage all aspects of Visitor Services service delivery within Cypress Hills Provincial Park
• Ensure effective delivery of retail services, information services and collaborate on park website revisions
• Manage contracts and dispositions related to visitor service program delivery
Staff Development and Supervision:
• Recruit, train and supervise a diverse set of professional staff while focusing on productivity and integration
• Perform performance management tasks, identify training needs and evaluate staffing levels
• Lead and assist with training workshops at various levels within the park, district, region and division
Stewardship, Volunteer, and Partnership Development:
• Lead strategic initiatives to foster stewardship, volunteer and partnership growth within Cypress Hills Provincial Park
• Develop mutually beneficial partnerships with public agencies, educational institutions, NGOs, private sector businesses and more
• Represent the District, Region, and Alberta Parks in interagency/partnership projects, communicates policies and collaborate on projects supporting Visitor Services and Visitor Engagement programs
In summary, the VETL's multifaceted role involves leadership in operational and strategic aspects, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable experience for visitors while fostering collaboration, safety and growth within Cypress Hills Provincial Park.
Education and Experience:
Terms of Employment:
• Year round on site in Cypress Hills.
• Flexibility to adjust shifts to seasonal demands.
• Evening and weekend work will be required. A premium is paid for these shifts.
• Access to reliable transportation to and from place of work.
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
• Final candidate may required to provide an acceptable Drivers Abstract.
• Final candidate may be required to provide a Criminal Record Check.
• Recognized current Standard First Aid and CPR Level "C"/AED Certificate.
• Adherence to Alberta Parks Uniform policy.
• This position may require some outdoor work in a variety of weather conditions.
• Training sessions at the beginning of employment are mandatory.
• Those selected for an interview will need to supply three work related references.
• Training will be provided to successful candidates.
• Hours of employment are up to 36.25 hours per week, with shifts scheduled up to 7.25 hours.
• Rental accommodation may be available.
Any costs associated with obtaining the required documents/checks as noted or interview travel expenses will be the responsibility of the candidate. Out-of-province applicants can obtain the required documents/checks from the province they currently reside in.
• Working for the Alberta Public Service – https://www.alberta.ca/advantages-working-for-alberta-public-service.aspx
• Pension plans: Public Service Pension Plan (PSPP) – https://www.pspp.ca
• Alberta Public Service Benefit Information - https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-benefits
• Leadership and mentorship programs
• Professional learning and development - https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-human-resource-directives
• Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
• Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
• Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool – https://researchapscareers.alberta.ca
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies: https://www.alberta.ca/system/files/custom_downloaded_images/psc-alberta-public-service-competency-model.pdf
Build Collaborative Environments: You demonstrate how to lead and contribute to the conditions and environments that allow people to work collaboratively and productively to achieve outcomes.
Drive For Results: You understand what outcomes are important and maximize resources to achieve results that are aligned with the goals of the organization while maintaining accountability to the team and external stakeholders.
Creative Problem Solving: You assess options and implications in new ways to achieve outcomes and solutions.
Develop Networks: You demonstrate proactively building networks, connecting and developing trust in relationships with different stakeholders.
How To Apply
Click on the “Apply Now” button.
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience, and relevant examples of required competencies.
Candidates are required to apply for a job online. Please visit https://www.alberta.ca/job-application-resources#before for more information. Please visit Recruitment Principles, for more information.
It is recommended applicants who have completed post-secondary studies from outside of Canada obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)(https://www.alberta.ca/international-qualifications-assessment.aspx) or from a recognized Canadian Credential Evaluator; please visit the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada for more information (https://canalliance.org/en/default.html).
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting or a copy of the job description, please contact Michele Murphy at Michele.Murphy@gov.ab.ca.
Interpretation Canada c/o Kerry Wood Nature Centre 6300 45th Ave Red Deer, AB, Canada T4N 3M4
Interprétation Canada a/s du Kerry Wood Nature Centre, 6300 45e Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta T4N 3M4