Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit http://www.evergreen.ca
The Program Manager, Action Labs will manage Evergreen and Future Cities Collaborative programming projects such as labs, coalitions and collective impact initiatives. This dynamic suite of projects will involve engagement with a large number of internal and external stakeholders including consultants, community groups, organizations, and government agencies as well as all departments within Evergreen.
The Program Manager has a record of success in innovative program design, development, implementation and management. With a knack for distilling complex concepts into elegant solutions, the Program Manager will play a central role in the efficient management, growth and evaluation of the Future Cities Canada program, with a focus on supporting the labs portfolio. The Program Manager has the confidence to collaborate effectively with senior leaders, program delivery colleagues, and external stakeholders alike to advance Evergreen’s mission to make cities flourish.
• Responsible for program development and iteration in response to Evergreen’s defined strategic priorities and emergent business development opportunities emerging in urban innovation space
• Manage multiple project objectives associated with an array of collaborative projects and programs, ensuring alignment with Evergreen’s mission and strategic direction
• Manage program budgets, work plans and key relationships: coordinate activities around identified milestones, and ensure activities are undertaken ‘on time and on budget’, with proper evaluation and wrap up
• Support research and content development for programming
• Facilitate important meetings internally and externally using user-centered design methods
• Collaborate with Evergreen’s Marketing and Communications team to support the planning and execution of programs and associated communication deliverables.
• Manage program budgets, workplans and key relationships: coordinate activities around identified milestones, and ensure activities are undertaken ‘on time and on budget’, with proper evaluation and wrap up
Focus Area: Action Labs
• Co-design and ensure implementation and evaluation of key program elements, working with a variety of partners and consultants, including:
• Labs, Communities of Practice and/or Collective Impact Initiatives
• Design and lead events, meetings and workshops both in person and on-line
• Coordinate programming initiatives, leading internal team meetings to ensure alignment of deliverables and that deadlines are met;
• Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, and learn
• Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Evidence-Based Decision Making/Problem Solving skills. Draw insightful conclusions from information. Create plans that are informed by research, data, and experience. Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of Evergreen.
• Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
• Team player. Intuitive grasp of organizational structure in order to manage cross-departmental and cross-disciplinary resource allocation. Seeks guidance from manager when necessary.
• 3-5 years’ experience in program design, development and delivery, preferably in the
• Prior experience in facilitation, partnership development, and working with diverse communities and stakeholders
• Demonstrated track record of program design and related project management, including creating and monitoring work plans and budgets. Attention to detail is an asset.
• Post-secondary diploma/degree in a field such as management, urban planning, political science, etc.
• Strong experience and demonstrated skills in creating digitally-savvy products: comfort with web tools, data visualizations, online systems to help us grow the network digitally. Familiarity with InDesign, an asset.
• Familiarity with design thinking models and approaches.
• Strong understanding of inclusion, equity and social justice issues and trends, especially in an urban context
• Excellent communication, networking, and partnership-development skills
• Strong track-record in resource and fiscal management
• Supervised by: Program Director
• Office environment
• Some travel across Canada may be required
• 40 hours per week, some evening and weekends may be required
Terms of Contract: Full Time
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to:
Please Reference “Action Labs” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
Interpretation Canada c/o Kerry Wood Nature Centre 6300 45th Ave Red Deer, AB, Canada T4N 3M4