Since 1991, Evergreen, a not-for-profit, has provoked bold action in transforming public landscapes into thriving community spaces. We believe that connecting people, natural and built worlds create flourishing cities for the future. For more than 25 years Evergreen has connected, collaborated, and catalyzed Canadians to do amazing things positively affecting attitudes and behaviours that lie at the core of a sustainable city. For more information visit http://www.evergreen.ca
Successful candidates must be between 18 and 30 (inclusive) years of age at the start of the employment, full-time students in the previous academic year and intending to return to school in fall 2019, and legally entitled to work in Canada. This opportunity is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Summer Work Experience Program in order to provide students with valuable experience in the green jobs sector.
The Nature Play Animator is responsible for delivering educational, inspiring and nature based play programs and activities for children and families in Gzowski and Kingsdale Parks in Kitchener, ON. The successful candidate will work with a team of Play Animators to support content development for the outdoor play programming. Audiences will include families, visiting schools, visiting camps and other community groups.
• Deliver engaging public outdoor, nature-based activities for children, families and school groups;
• Work with individuals of different ages, cultures, and abilities;
• Ensure safe delivery of programs according to Evergreen policies, procedures and training;
• Provide a welcoming experience for the general public and participants and act as an ambassador for Evergreen;
• Demonstrate safe use of simple hand tools and the ability to craft with natural materials including wood and clay, or willingness to learn;
• Support in delivering skills development workshops and trainings for community groups and individuals;
• Support staff debriefs, program evaluation and project documentation; and
• Support in developing program content.
• Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
• Flexibility/adaptability. Flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Cope effectively with complexity and change. Ability to work both as a team and independently
• Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Passionate and excited over work. Can-do attitude. Tenacious and goes the distance to get something done.
• Supervised by: Nature Play Lead Animator & Neighbourhood Nature Play Project Lead
• Supervises: Volunteers and Interns
• 1-2 years proven track record engaging diverse members of the public, particularly children and youth, in outdoor educational and/or recreational activities.
• Current standard first aid & CPR training, or willingness to obtain
• Experience working with children and youth.
• Background in Arts and Culture, Community Development, Teaching Environmental Sciences, or similar field.
• Knowledge of stewardship and ecological restoration practices.
• Able to endure rain and other inclement weather conditions
• Working outdoors with a variety of people, primarily children
• Available Monday to Sunday on a part-time basis
• Shifts of 4-8 hours throughout the week days and evenings, and various weekend dates.
• Location: Kitchener, ON
• Standing for extended periods of time
• Lifting heavy objects on a regular basis
Terms of contract: Part-time hourly, 10-25 hours a week, for 4 months with the possibility for renewal.
Cover letters and resumes can be submitted by e-mail to:
Please Reference “Nature Play Animator” in the subject line.
By Mail to Attention: Human Resources
Centre for Green Cities, Suite 300
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4W 3X8
Evergreen welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. As an organization that works to impact how cities are built and lived in, we encourage applications from the diverse communities that we serve. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Evergreen’s Accommodation policy. If you require accommodations, please let us know of your needs in advance. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
Interpretation Canada c/o Kerry Wood Nature Centre 6300 45th Ave Red Deer, AB, Canada T4N 3M4