Director, Design and Interpretation
Join the Ontario Science Centre (OSC) – one of Canada's most visited cultural attractions and a world-renowned educational institution – and contribute to the organization's success by providing leadership and strategic oversight to the Design and Interpretation department, which includes 2D and 3D Exhibit Design, Motion Graphics and Graphic Production, Fabrication, Exhibit support and Interpretive Planning and Editorial teams in the development and delivery of exhibit experiences and interactive experiences for our audiences.
We are looking for an experienced and results-oriented leader to direct, oversee and lead our creative teams in the design, fabrication, delivery and support of interactive and engaging experiences for our audiences. This position is also responsible for the overarching interpretive strategies for onsite and online exhibit experiences.
At the Ontario Science Centre, we believe that science, technology and innovation will help us shape a better future for society and our planet. As an organization, we are focused on making a positive and enduring impact on the lives of individuals and communities, and creating the lasting fascination for science that powers promising futures.
OPS commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code <http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect from this role?
The Ontario Science Centre is looking for someone who will:
• Manage and lead diverse teams of professionals and multi-disciplinary project teams in the development and implementation of exhibits and interactive experiences that support the organization’s business plans.
• Provide senior-level expertise and decision-making on design, fabrication, editorial and interpretive planning methodologies, techniques, and practices to develop and integrate rigorous design and delivery approaches across the organization.
• Develop and propose business strategies that enhance exhibits, drive participant and business growth, generate revenue, and build financial sustainability.
• Establish program area performance targets, evaluate performance and track progress, and provide regular reports to OSC senior management.
• Lead and direct Design and Interpretation department policies, best practices, and procedures for managing the health and safety of staff.
Location: 770 Don Mills Rd., Toronto
How do I qualify?
Management and Leadership Skills:
• You have experience leading the development, implementation, and evaluation of hands-on, interactive exhibit design, fabrication and museum interpretive planning strategies
• You have experience providing strategic direction, guidance and coaching to staff and/or project teams
• You have experience fostering an environment of inclusion, high performance, learning, growth and continuous improvement
• You can lead initiatives and strategies that support the OSC’s mandate and centre the visitor experience
Specific Skills and Knowledge:
• You can oversee the delivery of a visitor-focused and financially sustainable exhibit and experience vision and framework that aligns with the Centre’s strategic plan and target audiences
• You understand how to design and develop interactive, engaging and educational experiences for a variety of audiences, including families with children, students and teachers, as well as general audiences visiting the Centre
• You can innovate and modernize service delivery, including planning and forecasting resource requirements and developing business change management strategies
• You can lead multi-year business, financial, resource, and results-based planning processes
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You can build and maintain strong working relationships with executives, senior management, employees, stakeholders and interest groups
• You can provide artistic direction and design, fabrication, editorial and interpretive planning expertise to the organization’s senior management to influence decisions and directions
• You can effectively communicate issues and risk analyses affecting achievement of the departmental goals
• You can lead issues resolution and develop communication strategies for recommendations to mitigate identified risks and manage identified / emerging issues
Analytical Thinking Skills:
• You can develop critical relationships, sustainability, and revitalization strategies to coordinate delivery of departmental goals, exhibit and experience review processes and address delivery
• You can lead development of innovative stakeholder partnerships that promote and foster best practice in design, development and delivery, and lead and manage stakeholder consultation processes
Salary Range: $90,348 - $137,895 Per Year
• 1 Temporary (12 months, with possibility of extension), 770 Don Mills Rd, Toronto, Toronto Region
Interested applicants must apply online, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 203955, by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, September 18, 2023. Late submissions will not be considered.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >.
Interpretation Canada c/o Kerry Wood Nature Centre 6300 45th Ave Red Deer, AB, Canada T4N 3M4